We Are Committed to Safeguarding Customer Information
Type of Information
Depending upon which of our services you are utilizing, the types of non-public personal information that we may collect include:
- Information we receive from you on applications, forms and in other communications to us, whether in writing, in person, by telephone or any other means;
- Information about your transactions with us, our affiliated companies, or others;
- Information we receive from a consumer reporting agency; and,
- Information we may receive from others involved with your transaction, such as the real estate agent or lender.
Use of Information
We request information from you for our own legitimate business purposes and not for the benefit of any non-affiliated party. Therefore, we will not release your information to non-affiliated parties except: (1) as necessary for us to provide the product or service you have requested of us; or (2) as permitted by law. We may, however, store such information indefinitely, including the period after which any customer relationship has ceased. Such information may be used for any internal purpose, such as quality control efforts or customer analysis. We may also provide all of the types of non-public personal information listed above to one or more of our affiliated companies. Such affiliated companies include financial service providers, such as title insurers, property and casualty insurers, and trust and investment advisory companies, or companies involved in real estate services, such as appraisal companies, home warranty companies, and escrow companies. Furthermore, we may also provide all the information we collect, as described above, to companies that perform marketing services on our behalf, on behalf of our affiliated companies, or to other financial institutions with whom we or our affiliated companies have joint marketing agreements.
Confidentiality and Security
Fair Information Values
- Fairness: We consider consumer expectations about their privacy in all our businesses. We only offer products and services that assure a favorable balance between consumer benefits and consumer privacy.
Public Record We believe that an open public record creates significant value for society, enhances consumer choice and creates consumer opportunity. We actively support an open public record and emphasize its importance and contribution to our economy.
- Use: We believe we should behave responsibly when we use information about a consumer in our business. We will obey the laws governing the collection, use and dissemination of data.
- Accuracy: We will take reasonable steps to help assure the accuracy of the data we collect, use and disseminate. Where possible, we will take reasonable steps to correct inaccurate information. When, as with the public record, we cannot correct inaccurate information, we will take all reasonable steps to assist consumers in identifying the source of the erroneous data so that the consumer can secure the required corrections.
- Education: We endeavor to educate the users of our products and services, our employees and others in our industry about the importance of consumer privacy. We will instruct our employees on our fair information values and on the responsible collection and use of data. We will encourage others in our industry to collect and use information in a responsible manner.
- Security: We will maintain appropriate facilities and systems to protect against unauthorized access to and corruption of the data we maintain.